Friday 16 March 2012

Country mouse goes to the city

Tomorrow I'm off to Manchester for an Italian tutorial.  I was a city girl once, but having lived in Lancaster for more than a decade, I'm not used to the bright-lights-big-city any more.  After an early start and two hours massacring la bella lingua, I'm always keen to get home again. Usually my visit is limited to the few hundred yards between Oxford Road station and the university.  It's an interesting walk though.  I like the seediness of the street, the mix of people and the city grime.  Rather that than the fool's gold of the department stores and cocktail bars.

I find myself staring like a country mouse at all the hustle and bustle.  I forget the city protocol, make eye contact and try to strike up a conversation in the newsagents.  Do they make allowances for country folk?


© Copyright Carol Winder and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long time, no see

I blame Facebook. And Twitter. And Whatsapp. Not to mention Cooking Fever and Candy Crush, both of which I've installed and deleted from...