Wednesday 4 January 2012

Books I'd like to read

Until recently I had a section on my blog entitled 'books I'd like to read (but haven't got round to yet)'. But then, in a rare moment of honesty, I had to admit that the chances of my ever reading Claire Tomalin's biography of Charles Dickens were slim indeed.  I suspected that the list was going the same way as my calligraphy set, photography guides and cocktail dresses.  This was a list for the kind of person I'd like to be, rather than the 'real' me.  2012 was to be the year of focus.  The year to master one trade, but not them all.

But then the book blogs were sent to tempt me.  Four days into the new year and already two of my favourite blogs - cathyreadsbooks and dovegreyreader - are teasing me with a new clutch of books. So back comes the 'books I'd like to read', but this time with a little touch of realism.

For me it will be a year of two halves (as the football pundits like to say). Six months to complete my degree and settle in my new job, and then the rest of year to read and write whatever I please.

1 comment:

  1. Well done for focusing on the realistic goals. Then you can strive for more with a sense of achievement. I think I'll follow your example.

    ReplyDelete

Long time, no see

I blame Facebook. And Twitter. And Whatsapp. Not to mention Cooking Fever and Candy Crush, both of which I've installed and deleted from...