Wednesday 30 November 2011

Wine, women and mince pies

I'm looking forward to meeting the Lancashire ladies this evening for our final book group meeting of the year.  I'm rather hoping for a mince pie with my glass of red wine, but as we're not quite in December I'll not be too presumptuous.  The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes is our book for discussion. The signs are promising.  I do believe this is the first book in a long time that the whole group has actually read. J reached the end and then went straight back to the start to read it all over again.  That's not something that happens very often.

In the meantime, I'm wondering what book to suggest for this month's read.  Something festive would be good, but what? A Christmas Carol is too obvious, but a ghost story might do the trick.  Something to snuggle in bed with as the wind howls round the house and the rain rattles at the windows.

We shall have to see what the ladies come up with.

1st December update

Sadly, mince pies were not on the agenda but the ladies were in fine form and I was consoled by an interesting discussion on the nature of memory.  Our Christmas reading is the Selected Tales of Edgar Allen Poe.  Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long time, no see

I blame Facebook. And Twitter. And Whatsapp. Not to mention Cooking Fever and Candy Crush, both of which I've installed and deleted from...