Tuesday 4 October 2011

We are three sisters

On Saturday evening I went to the Dukes in Lancaster to see Blake Morrison's We are Three Sisters,  a play about the Brontes with 'a nod to Chekhov.'  I read Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard a couple of years ago, and despite writing a successful essay on comedy in the play, I was left rather dazed and confused by the experience.  After seeing Morrison's play I think I understand a little better.  I laughed, I despaired, I felt the sisters' frustrations.  I enjoyed the doctor's performance, a flawed unhappy man, but still good at heart.

It was a warm evening and a full house.  There were complaints from the audience, but air-conditioning is so rarely needed in Lancaster.  Ladies paraded in their summer frocks.  I felt hot and frumpy and so consoled myself with a mint cornetto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long time, no see

I blame Facebook. And Twitter. And Whatsapp. Not to mention Cooking Fever and Candy Crush, both of which I've installed and deleted from...